Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Becoming a Philanthropist

People aspire to a number of different things. My personal aspiration is to be a philanthropist. Dictionary.com defines philanthropy as:

1. The effort or inclination to increase the well-being of humankind, as by charitable aid or donations.
2. Love of humankind in general.
3. Something, such as an activity or institution, intended to promote human welfare.


I especially like the second definition, and one way I intend to show my love of mankind is through charitable aid.

The name and subtitle for this philanthropic blog come from a verse in the Book of Mormon, which reads as follows:

And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted. -- Jacob 2:19

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get the the chance. I want the same. There is a higher purpose in life - and it't to give and help people in need.
The important thing to remember is that you can't save the world. Just try to do your part to help.
Good luck.

Shalonda "Treasure" Williams said...

This is a worthy aspiration. I too desire to be this person in such a huge way. But, the thing I found out is that I am already that person. You can start as small as you need to. Even if you start by putting every bit of change you have into the donation box at McDonalds or Wal Mart. Peace to you!