Thursday, January 11, 2007

Medtronic Food Drive

This is a couple weeks late since I've been so focused on promoting my new charitable search engine, Room to Search, but my department won our annual Medtronic holiday food drive for the second year straight. My boss is pictured here as Santa, though the reindeer are unfortunately not in the picture. No joke, our team got two reindeer, which although I would have preferred to put the money towards more food, in the end it's probably what won the competition for us.

For better or for worse, I'm certain the interdepartmental competition drives much better results than idealism, similar to how capitalism has proven to be a better way of creating societal wealth than communism. It was estimated that our division of around 300 employees gathered $10,000 of food for local food banks and homeless shelters, or an average of perhaps $30-35 per person. Without the competition, I bet we would have been lucky to average $5-10 per person, or $1,500-3,000 total. I enjoy working with generous people, regardless of what motivates them to give. I haven't seen anything remotely close to this annual food drive at other companies, though I'd love to hear anecdotes if anyone has them.

No comments: