Friday, October 06, 2006

Lord, Make Me an Instrument

While reading and responding to a post on a good friend's blog this evening, I was reminded of the following prayer from St. Francis of Assisi.

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.


O Divine Master,
grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.


Though the text is extremely beautiful, I hesitated for a moment to classify this as scripture. However, according to Dictionary.com, scripture can be defined as broadly as any writing or book, especially when of a sacred or religious nature.

When it comes down to it, even though I started this blog with the intent of figuring out how to donate my money to the best charities, what I'm really about is a love of humankind in general, and I share in St. Francis' prayer.

No comments: