Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Room to Read Event Follow-up

I was fortunate to attend both Room to Read events I publicized last week.

The Wednesday event at the University of Colorado had ~150-175 attendees, many of them students. John gave a 1 hour lecture full of pictures and stories, and very familiar to one who has read the book and spent some time at Room to Read's web site. We sold 40-50 books after the event, with 15% of the $28 selling price being given to the Room to Read Rockies Chapter for our service. The Boulder Bookstore also said they'll donate 100% of the profits to Room to Read. And one donor wrote a check for $3000 at the event, enough to build a library.

On Thursday at Sherpa's Adventurers Restaurant & Bar in Boulder, 30-40 people gathered to share hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and conversation. My friend Barry attended with me, and the room was pretty evenly split between Room to Read volunteers and community members. John Wood spoke for about 20 minutes, giving a brief overview of Room to Read and its volunteer chapter structure. He then auctioned off a framed (thanks 15th Street Studio) piece of art from one a book that Room to Read published in Nepali as part of its local language publishing program. I put in a losing bid, but I don't feel bad about it since the winning bid was $750! That's enough to fund three years of education for a young girl who otherwise would not be able to afford it. The $250/year cost includes tuition, uniforms, school supplies, mentoring, medical checkups, etc. Perhaps the highlight of the evening for me was to personally meet John Wood, shake his hand, and have him sign my book. I was surprised that he recognized my name and correctly associated it with roomtosearch.com.

No comments: