Monday, September 03, 2007

How Nonprofits Get Really Big

I came across an interesting fundraising article titled How Nonprofits Get Really Big, available through the Stanford Social Innovation Review. Of particular interest to me is the fact that most non-profits that reach $50 million in annual revenue typically rely on one main source for their donor base as opposed to multiple donor sources. In other words, rather than having 25% of donations from individuals, 25% from corporations, 25% from government, and 25% from foundations, they might have 90% of funding come from government, with the remaining 10% split among the other funding sources. Within their primary funding source, they will likely have diversity, such as funding from multiple state or national government entities.

No comments: