Friday, January 11, 2008

World's Poorest Countries, Part 1

Of the world's 209 countries, Burundi's citizens are the poorest.

In keeping with Philip Berber's #1 rule of charitable giving, and as a businessperson with a strong belief in marketing, I decided it's time to get to know my customer. I want to learn as much as I can about the 1.1 billion people who are struggling to survive on less than $1 per day.

I analyzed a World Bank report listing 2006 Gross National Income per capita, which included both Atlas and Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) methodologies. The World Bank considers PPP to be a better methodology for comparing poverty rates than Atlas, but the bottom of each list is identical: Burundi.

Comparing the bottom 20 countries using the two methodologies, 13 countries appear on both lists. Another similarity: Africa is severely overrepresented, with 19 representatives on the PPP list and 18 on the Atlas list. I further compared the two lists, and since there are no major outliers, I'll use the PPP list for future analysis:

Countries With Poorest Citizens (Millions of People)

1. Burundi (7.8)
2. Malawi (13.2)
3. Congo, Dem. Rep. (59.3)
4. Tanzania (39.5)
5. Niger (14.4)
6. Guinea-Bissau (1.6)
7. Sierra Leone (5.6)
8. Yemen, Rep. (21.6)
9. Madagascar (19.1)
10. Congo, Rep. (4.1)
11. Zambia (11.9)
12. Nigeria (144.7)
13. Eritrea (4.5)
14. Mali (13.9)
15. Benin (8.7)
16. Ethiopia (72.7)
17. Mozambique (20.1)
18. Chad (10.0)
19. Rwanda (9.2)
20. Central African Republic (4.1)

In a future post, I plan to compare this list with the countries served by Fast Company's Social Capitalists. That will help me to see which countries are being served by entrepreneurial non-profits and how they're being served. I'll also be able to identify countries that aren't being served by the top non-profits, research why they're not being served, and determine whether there's a market need I could help to meet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!