Friday, September 26, 2008

Acumen Fund Fellowship Applications Due 10/20

For anyone who hasn't already heard, Acumen Fund's annual fellowship applications are due October 20, 2008.

Acumen is a non-profit venture fund, which makes investments that build thriving enterprises that deliver both financial social returns throughout the developing world. Acumen Fund has been recognized for its social impact with a Fast Company Social Capitalist Award, and Acumen's financial efficiency has earned it the distinction of Charity Navigator's 4-Star Rating.

Acumen Fund’s one-year fellowships begin with eight weeks of intensive leadership training in their New York City office. Fellows then spend 9 months working with one of Acumen Fund's portfolio organizations in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, South Africa, India and Pakistan. For the last month, fellows return to New York City to share experiences and lessons learned and to focus on job opportunities.

Last year when I first learned about the fellowship application deadline, I was very tempted to apply. In fact, this year I went so far as to upload my resume, start outlining my responses to the essay questions, and plan with my wife what we would do if I were to earn the coveted fellowship. However, for a variety of reasons that I won't go into on this blog, the timing isn't right for me to spend a year in Africa or Asia. However, if it could work into your life plans starting September 2009, I encourage you to apply.

No comments: