I had the pleasure on February 12 of attending a presentation by Tim Prestero, founder and CEO of non-profit design firm Design That Matters. The event was hosted at Colorado State University by Paul Hudnut, who also blogged about the event. Below are a few thoughts, ideas, and quotes I enjoyed from Tim's presentation:
- "We're the IDEO for Social Enterprise."
- "Doing good is no reason to run a bad business."
- What does the situation look like without the solution you're proposing?
- What does the standard of care look like where money is no object? What does it look like where money is an object?
- Fail as fast as possible.
- Who will 1) choose, 2) use, and 3) pay the dues?
- Altruism can get someone to do something once; but it doesn't last.
- "It turns out most of our ideas are terrible. We just have a lot of them."